Thursday, October 4, 2007

Super Easy Black Bean Soup

When fall and winter come, I like nothing more than whipping up a batch of soup for dinner and just having the warmth of comfort food in every bite. Yum. I LOVE soup. I especially love this recipe for Black Bean Soup - basically because it's SO easy! I have yet to find out how it freezes - I have a container of it in my freezer, but haven't tried thawing it out yet. Typically, I serve this with either corn muffins or crushed tortilla chips.


1 cup jarred fresh tomato salsa
2 15.5 oz cans of black beans, drained & rinsed
2 cups chicken broth (this is about one can - I tend to use the low sodium version)
Sour cream for garnish - optional

Heat salsa in a large sauce pan over medium heat, stirring frequently for about five minutes. Stir in the beans and the broth, then heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Cool slightly, then spoon half of the soup into a blender and puree {NOTE: Since the soup will be steaming, do NOT put the lid on tightly, vent it a tiny bit or the pressure will make the top pop off the blender and soup fly anywhere... not that I know that from personal experience or anything.} Return the pureed soup to saucepan and heat thru. Serve with sour cream and additional salsa, if desired.

No comments: