Friday, October 5, 2007

Buttermilk Pancakes that Will Rock Your World

This is my dad's recipe for buttermilk pancakes - it is his adaptation of the Betty Crocker recipe. There are a few ingredients that are marked as OBWC - this stands for "Optional But World Class" - that's my dad's designation. I have to say I don't include them, but dad does when he makes them, and they are SUPER good.

Into a mixing bowl put:
2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup wheat bran
1 heaping Tbsp cornmeal (OBWC)
1 heaping Tbsp cream of rice (OBWC)
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda

And stir up real nice until everything is mixed just the way you like it...

THEN

Into your blender jar put:
2 eggs (or 1 egg and up to 2 or 3 egg whites, it's a protein thing)
1 cup buttermilk
2 Tbsp vegetable oil (says my dad: "or butter but NOT MARGARINE! It'll clog your veins and make any circulatory activities much more difficult with the passing years. Trust me on this one... or not...it's your breakfast.")

Whirl it around until the color is uniform.

NOW

Pour the liquid into the bowl with dry ingredients and mix lightly.

AND NOW - make sure your frying pan is nice and hot. Film the pan with oil (that's per dad - I use cooking spray, and they come out fine... )... Add about 3 tbsp of batter to the pan for each pancake.

Cook like you would cook pancakes (seriously, I can get specific, but I'm tired of typing!)

Enjoy your breakfast!!!

No comments: