Thursday, November 1, 2007

Spicy Veggie-Beef Soup

I found this recipe in a Southern Living Slow-Cooker Cookbook. But my mom in law's crock pot was too small, so I simmered it in a regular pot all afternoon. It was a hit... it's almost like a bean-less chili, which is a good thing because my hubby doesn't like beans and refuses to eat them.
Ingredients:

1 pound ground chuck
1 onion, chopped (I used a red onion)
2 (28-ounce) jars tomatoes, peppers, and spices pasta sauce
1 10 1/2 oz. can condensed beef broth, undiluted
1 1/2 c water
1/2 c dry red wine (I used sutter home merlot)
1 14 1/2 oz. can garlic and olive oil petite diced tomatoes, undrained (I used italian seasoned, generic brand)
1 10 oz can diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained (I used mild)
1 16 oz package frozen mixed veggies, thawed (I didn't thaw them first, they did just fine)
1/2 tsp pepper (really, does anyone measure out their pepper? I just ground a bunch into it.)
1 heaping tsp minced garlic (not in original recipe, I added it)
several dashes of italian seasoning to taste

  • Cook beef and onion in a large skillet, stirring until beef crumbles and is no longer pink, drain well.
  • Combine beef mixture, pasta sauce, and remaining ingredients in a 5 qt slow cooker
  • Cover and cook on high 6 hrs or low 12 hours. Makes 4 quarts.
Goes great with grilled cheese sandwiches or garlic-cheese bread. And saltine crackers, for those who prefer to chew their soup and not sip it (like my hubby). My 2 year old loved it, too.

No comments: