Monday, October 29, 2007

Hunter Style Chicken

This is what I'm making tonight. 15 minutes of prep and 15 minutes to cook. Voila! Dinner!

Serves 4

8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps halved and thinly sliced
5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 1/3 cups canned crushed tomatoes
3 strips orange zest, cut 3 inches long and 1/2 inch wide (I'm opting out of the orange zest this time, but it is really good)
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed rosemary
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch chunks


In a 2 1/2-quart microwave-safe dish with a lid, combine mushrooms, garlic, oil, and 1/4 cup water; season with salt and pepper. Cover, and microwave on high, 2 minutes.

Stir in tomatoes, orange zest, rosemary, cayenne, and chicken until combined. Cover; microwave on high until chicken is just cooked through, 12 to 14 minutes. Remove orange zest, and serve.

**Edited to add... I could not find boneless, skinless chicken thighs so I substituted boneless, skinless chicken breasts instead. I also used plain sliced mushrooms and not shitake. The verdict? STILL yummy! I do suggest serving over a bed of rice or pasta, though.

***One more edit... The chicken is not pre-cooked before microwaving. It does not come out rubbery at all, and I was skeptical the first time I made it. But it really does work!

No comments: