Monday, October 8, 2007

Poor Man's Stroganoff

I've never made this ahead and frozen it, so I don't know if it can be done or not. It is simply too easy to throw together at the last minute, though!

This recipe is one of my all-time favorite childhood recipes. We'd have it for dinner one night, then eat the leftovers cold out of the fridge the next day! I altered the recipe just a bit to be more healthy, but if you want to make it "full fat" then go for it!

1.5 pounds super lean ground beef (I used 96/4)
1 medium onion, diced
1 small can of mushroom stems and pieces, drained
1 Tbsp. flour
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup (I used 98% fat free), plus 1/2 to 3/4 can water
1 8oz. carton sour cream (I used fat free)
1 Tsp. Paprika
Garlic powder, salt, pepper to taste
1 12oz. package egg noodles

Brown meat and onion over medium heat in a large skillet. Drain fat. Sprinkle with flour. Add mushrooms, soup, sour cream, and spices, stirring well. Add water to thin out sauce to desired thickness. Cover and simmer on low heat for about 20 to 30 minutes.

Prepare egg noodles according to package directions. Drain and return to pot. By this time the sauce has simmered for long enough. Remove from heat and combine with noodles.

Enjoy!

No comments: